Back in August I wrote about my constant flat tires. After about 2.5 years on some stock bicycle tires, I got about three flats in one week. My Ritchey Speed Max tires had started cracking near the sidewall and a few pieces of glass were constantly getting lodged in the tire. I asked my twitter followers for recommendation on flat proof tires and ultimately went with Schwalbe Marathons.
What I like…
- Schwalbe Marathons are one of the cheaper heavy duty performance tires. I paid around $39.50/tire on Amazon. In NYC you can easily find bike shops charging $55+ for the same type of tire.
- Tires handle just as well as lighter tires on the road. With the thicker tread, I actually feel less bumps on the road.
- They are under the radar in the US but tried an true in Europe. Paris’ Velib bike share trusts them!
- Reflective side walls!
What I don’t like…
- Tires are harder to put on your bike because of the stiff sidewalls.
- The Marathons are heavier than my stock tires.
I’ve been riding the Marathons almost everyday since August with no problems and no flats. I only once wiped out on these treads during a heavy rain night but to the tire’s credit I was riding a curve with a grate at a very high speed. I suppose that’s my own stupidity:) Overall they are extremely durable and responsive tires which are worth the investment on NYC city streets!